Saturday, November 5, 2011

O Little Town of.....

me, Tyler, Liz....this is where Jesus was born I guess
BETHLEHEM!

I have been on many field trips since being here in Jerusalem and all of them have had great significance to what we were learning here in our classes. But there is a certain story that is most special to me -- the nativity story. I LOVE Christmas SO much because I love the story of Mary and Joseph traveling to Bethlehem, the shepherds, the manger, and baby Jesus! This is a story that I have grown up with and loved since I was very little. I remember admiring my mother's nativity set made out of olive wood that she got from Bethlehem when she studied here in Jerusalem. It's a simple set...just Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus. I have yet to come across one that is as beautiful.

We saw a few different sites in Bethlehem including the church that is built over the birth place of Jesus. After that we were given a little time to shop around and look at the things they sell there. I planned on finding the nativity set that I have been searching for since day 1. Well, it turned out that we were only given about 15 minutes to shop, so I decided that I needed to look around quick if I wanted to find the one I wanted. I tried, but I just couldn't buy any of them. I was a little disappointed as we left....and kind of felt silly. Why am I so picky about nativity sets? Why do I care so much?

Shepherds field....overlooking Bethlehem
The last place we visited was a shepherds field right outside Bethlehem. The sun was just beginning to set and it was amazing! The sky was perfect. We all gathered around and sat down while Brother Harper and Huntsman spoke to us. While Brother Huntsman was talking to us, a herd of sheep and an actual shepherd walked by. Can you imagine?? And lets not forget about the bright star that was shining. It was like everything was coming to life -- like we were in the story just sitting in the background. I just wanted to capture everything in that moment and remember it forever. I mean...there was Bethlehem, right before my own little eyes. It's like the song "Far, Far Away on Judea's Plain" except...it wasn't so far away. It was such a special experience to think about that amazing event that happened 2,000 years ago. It was then that I realized why I have not been able to find the perfect nativity set -- the story of the nativity is so beautiful and dear to me....that I haven't been able to find a set that represents the story quite good enough, and I don't know that I even will, but I'm still searching, so we'll see! I love Christmas and Bethlehem...and I'm stoked about studying the New Testament. (We just ended Old Testament and started the New Testament yesterday) It is such a blessing to have this opportunity to study here... I love it so so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment