Thursday, November 3, 2011

BOO!

About to go into Hezekiah's tunnel!

On HALLOWEEN!

Liz, me... Muses!

Liz, Tyler, me

This is when Tyler said, "BHE!"

Liz's hair! 

A little group of us

Jeff Perry a nerd??

We love Halloween

craziness

Amy! Hot mama!

A little camel!
Halloween in Jerusalem is nonexistent. Many holidays are celebrated here in Jerusalem, but halloween is not one of them. There are no decorations, no halloween candies to buy, not a single trace of halloween. That meant you had to get creative and make your own halloween from scratch! We began the day with our last day of class with Bashir Bashir (Islam) and then a big group of us planned on going to Hezekiah's Tunnel. We were all supposed to meet up at a certain time....but then only me, Tyler, and Liz showed up. haha. We were really excited...I mean...most people go through corn mazes or artificially made haunted houses, but we were going through an ancient dark tunnel underneath the old city of Jerusalem. We decided to go as far as we could WITHOUT lights. It was the darkest of dark inside...you could put your hand right up to your face, but you couldn't see it at all. I just held on close to Liz's bag, while she held on to Tyler, who was leading the way. I kept begging Tyler to just shine the light behind me for just a second....I wanted to make sure that no one was following us. I could have sworn that there were footsteps behind me. (I hate being the tail end!) But Tyler kept saying that his flashlight wouldn't turn on --(lies!) So I  decided to just be brave. Then, I couldn't take it anymore....I had to have someone shine the light behind us. I had to see who was following us! Finally, Tyler shown the light....and then... sure enough there he was! King Hezekiah creeping up behind us! Naturally, we screamed and started to trudge as fast as we could through the almost knee deep water. We didn't get that far before we realized that the water was rising. This is something that we joked about...worst case scenario: What do you do if when you get to the middle of the tunnel and the water rapidly begins rising.... I don't even know. I just held on to Liz's bag and before I knew it...we were out. Alive. It wasn't even that bad! Good thing that some of that didn't really even happen....probably.

Well, anyway.... that was fun. It was a pretty epic Halloween experience. Later that night, everyone was getting ready and dressing up for the halloween dinner and dance. Brother Ohmen was going to play the organ along with the Phantom of the Opera, silent film. I didn't have a costume and had no idea what I could possibly even do, especially with very limited resources. Liz didn't know what to do either. We walked into my room and she said, "Hey, we could use our sheets and tie them around us like togas?" GENIUS! That's exactly what we did! We were going to be the muses from Hercules! Tyler apparently has dressed up a lot, as a child of course...and knew how to tie them all fancy for us. I don't know. He surprises me. Anyway, we had a great time with our hair and makeup...we were going all out! Amy was dressing up like an 80's workout chick and we ratted her hair really big. She has some amazing hair! We got Liz's hair pretty big too. It's all about the ratting of the hair on halloween!

We were very happy with our halloween costume turn out, and it ended up being what we called BHE...that stands for Best Halloween Ever. Ha. It's clever, I know. I was so impressed with everyone's creative costumes. We had a King David and Bathsheba...Goliath, a camel... it was so fun! Course everything here at the JC is always magnified as far as fun and excitement goes, or anything really.

No comments:

Post a Comment